Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Time

I love this time of year--the music, the parties, the good food, the presents (giving and getting), and family memories. The only thing I don't like this time of year is the crowds in the stores and the extra traffic in town. This year I am doing my Christmas routine a little differently. One of the hygienists in my office had a little baby girl a few weeks ago and I have been covering some of her days while she is home on maternity leave. That means I am working 4 days most weeks. I don't have a lot of time for the things that can cause holiday stress like finding the right gifts or giving goodies to neighbors, so I am going low key and keeping it simple this year. The fun is going to be more in the experiences than the stuff. I plan on enjoying every chance I get to have fun with my family and friends. I am really excited for a relaxing Christmas. I hope that all of you are enjoying the holidays and not too stressed out to enjoy them. Simplify--it's great!!!
I've been decorating a little at a time and I just finished. Drew redecorates the bottom 2 feet of the Christmas tree everytime he sees it (hence the pile of ornaments on the floor). My favorite is the banister by the stairs. I know it's nothing elaborate, but I think it turned out cute. Not too many decorations, but just enough to help us get in the Christmas spirit I think. The story behind the donkey: it was something I inherited from my mom. I remember her putting it on the Christmas tree when I was younger and I would search to find the donkey and then move it around to different places throughout the time the tree was up. Apparently Drew likes the donkey too--the tradition lives on.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Nice decorations Emily, and Drew is looking really cute! Christmas is the best time of the year and the more it can be about family and love the better.

Burdick Family said...

You are so right about keeping it simple. It is hard to get in the holiday spirit if you're crazy busy with gift buying and extravagant decorating. Your house looks cute and your little boy is getting so big! He has the cutest smile. I am doing the opposite of you at work right now--not working at all. It's nice to spend more time with Carter, but it also makes this last little while of being pregnant go by much slower!

VicandNanc said...

Very cute banister & I like how you have your wiseman tile by your nativity... I think I'll copy you & do that next year! I have to say that I am the opposite on Christmas... I start really early (I had all of my presents bought & wrapped before Thanksgiving!) and when Christmas comes I go crazy decorating & throwing parties. I guess it's all I like to do in my spare time so it works! haha, Christmas is the BEST! I hope you guys have a MERRY Christmas, it will be so fun with a little guy around!